Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Beginning "The Story"



"What's the goal?  Why are we reading The Story for the next nine months?"

I love it when really good questions like this are presented to me on Sunday mornings.  Really and truly - it's always great to hear what people are thinking, and sometimes, standing in the doorway of the church after worship is just where these things come rolling out.

Responding to the question above: when we read The Story, we experience the Bible.  That's one of the best ways to summarize this journey we're taking together starting this fall (which you can read about at thestory.com).  I can certainly say that I have experienced the Bible as I've read The Story throughout the summer.  I've been able to hear the messages of the Bible again with fresh eyes and ears.  The way that the book keeps the Bible narrative moving through creative editing, summaries, and the always-helpful timeline is a completely new and exciting way to read through the Scriptures.  I feel like I can actually grasp some of the bigger themes, especially when it comes to the Old Testament, prophets, and key leaders in the history of Israel.

We've got copies of The Story available at the church office, and we'll be offering them in-between our worship services starting this week.  I hope you'll pick up a copy and take part in this great journey together.

Travis

PS - I can't imagine a better way to read through The Story than in a small group.  Starting Sept. 7, we'll have a number of discussion groups which will be meeting on Sunday mornings.  Coffee, snacks, and group facilitators will all be provided!  Stay tuned for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment