Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Derek Jeter and Respect

(c) sikids.com


"Is it possible to despise the Yankees and love Derek Jeter?"

It was 2009.  I was in the middle of seminary, and I had just read the Sports Illustrated article naming Jeter - the Yankee captain, shortstop, and sure-fire Hall-of-Famer - the 2009 Sportsman of the Year.  The article - one of the best pieces of long-form journalism I've ever read - highlighted Jeter's amazing career, his commitment to his family and philanthropy, plus his deep love and respect for the game of baseball.

After reading the article, I called my friend Todd, a lifelong Red Sox fan and a leading authority on Yankee-loathing.  "So what do you think?" I asked, "Isn't that a philosophical impossibility?  To love and respect an amazing player but to detest the team he's served so faithfully for his entire career?"

"No way," said my friend.  "Pretty much every true Red Sox fan I know loves Jeter.  He's played the game the right way, giving 100% every night, always keeping his nose clean, for almost 20 years.  The guy is a living legend.  As a Red Sox fan, I love Jeter.  I want his team to crash and burn, but I love the guy for what he's done for baseball."

Jeter's final season is underway.  He's playing the majors for one last ride, giving 100% every night.  If you watched the All-Star Game last week, you saw just how much other players hold Jeter in the highest regard.  And he's earned it.

I wish I had the chance to see him play one last time.  I've seen him take the field a few times in Seattle and once at Old Yankee Stadium in New York.  Watching him play is truly an electrifying sports experience - not because of his flashiness, but much like Tim Duncan for the San Antonio Spurs, because of his devotion to fundamentals and playing the game with excellence in every way.

Even though it's an advertisement for a shoe company, the video linked below perfectly summarizes what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X03_bNuihLU

Enjoy the final games, Jeter.  Thanks for being the guy every baseball fan can all hold in the highest regard.

Travis


1 comment: