Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Gratitude for 2013



[Below is a report I wrote for our session (board of elders) which summarizes a few of the wonderful things done by our Merciful and Generous God.]
 
Reflecting on 2013 fills me with a sense of awe.  God’s faithfulness to me, my family, and our church family has been unmistakable this past year.

Personally, I’m in awe of being able to run again.  When I hurt my knee and face in a bicycle accident at the end of August, I had no idea how substantial my injuries might be.  (Sidebar: We never really know how hurt we are, how sick we are, or how much we need the gospel to further penetrate our hearts, do we?)  I remember thinking after I fell, “I hope I can run again by Thanksgiving.”  Our annual trip to the Oregon coast always includes great running adventures with family.  It turns out that I was able to run along the beach in Oregon – one of the most beautiful and memorable moments of my year.  Thanks be to God for His healing mercy.

My family is in awe of God for how much He has continually provided for our needs.  This year, we have been stretched as disciples, particularly through our finances and in stewarding our home.  God has been faithful, the presence of Christ has been real, and the Spirit has protected us and given us hope every step of the way.  God’s abundance is demonstrated to me every time I come home from work and see Will’s smile.  Christ’s mercy is so clear to me every time I wake up in a warm home with my wife and son in good health and good spirits.  Thanks be to God for His provision.

Our church family has enjoyed an incredible year.  We’ve successfully improved the front entrance to our church – thanks to our friends at FCI and all the sub-contractors, as well our building team – taking down trees and memories but also showing our church body that we’re ready to dash into a new future together.  We’ve tacked complicated but important projects together like biblical justice, partnered with InterVaristy to reach new disciples for Christ at CMU, and continued to thrive in our ministry to kids and families.  I’m so proud of the way we’ve grown and changed as a church, and yet kept our core commitment to following Christ and sharing his Word.

Only a God with as much mercy and imagination as ours could possibly have orchestrated such an incredible year.  How much bigger and incredible could 2014 be?

Solo Dei gloria,

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment