Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mission Partner Update: International College Student Ministry

Kevin is one of our former student ministries interns.  He did a fantastic job serving students and families at FPC a few years ago, and now he's taken his passion for the gospel to a college campus in the Washington DC area.  Specifically, Kevin (who comes from a Chinese background) is reaching out to international students at American University through an organization called Chi Alpha.  Kevin shared this update with me earlier this week, and it's written from the perspective of one of the leaders of their ministry - not Kevin himself; I doubt he's having grandchildren anytime soon. :)



My Chinese friend Rou Zhang and I are continuing our [ministry] relationship. It is a very productive one and we've done many things together. She has been in my home several times and to church for our Lessons and Carols Service and brought a male friend. She has also attended, once, a Chinese Fellowship where I teach a Bible study for Chinese professionals, professors, and graduate students that is loosely connected to George Mason University. She has become close to my little grandson, whom she loves, and I think feels a special affinity for us because my daughter-in-law is Chinese, although they, themselves, have not met. 

I feel that she's open spiritually but not yet questioning much about Christianity. I have shared a great deal with her about how the Lord helps me, which has been made very natural because my husband, whom she had met and likes, was struck with a catastrophic illness in January, and she has watched how we have dealt with that. She says that now she feels that she has two grandmothers, one in China and one here. I'm planning to take her up to Skyline for the day next Saturday. We are also Facebook friends.

I have been praying about connecting with another student and since you have some that need to be matched with American friends, I feel that I'd like to have one more. I don't necessarily feel that I need a Chinese student because of my background and focus - I would certainly be willing to have a student from any country. We have traveled extensively and have interest in many places. If you have a student who is particularly eager to have a friend, let me know. I know that Rou very much wanted a friend and was waiting for one when we were connected.

So, let me know if you have a student you'd like to give me. I have prayed that the Lord will bring me together with one that He wants me to have. My husband is now in long term care, so it is only me at home right now.


Several things to keep in prayer:

-Pray for this woman's husband

-That current partnerships, (over 60 in total) will be just as life changing

-There are 15 students still waiting for an American family, so we need more volunteers from partner churches

-We have a Christian beach retreat for the campus ministry that many international students have signed up for (most of them are not Christian). Pray that God will meet them in a meaningful way

- For the women, men, and families involved in the shooting at the Naval Shipyards.

--
Kevin Kusunoki
Chi Alpha Campus Ministries @ AU | auchialpha.org
American Friends Director @ AU |
auchialpha.org/americanfriends

No comments:

Post a Comment