Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bike Crash Update and A Special Event

I’m writing this blog update from the waiting room at the radiology department at Community Hospital.  I had a good visit with our family doctor this morning, and she checked out my knee and made a couple of observations.  Because she could manipulate my knee pretty well and also because I’m hobbling around somewhat successfully, ligament damage may not have happened.  She did send me over to Community to get a x-ray because I may have broken my patella (the kneecap) or done something to the bursa – small sacks which help pad the tendons around my knee.  If nothing else, my Scrabble vocabulary has been enhanced today. :)

After I get my x-ray, my doctor will take a look at it and draw conclusions from there.  If she thinks it’s possible that I hurt my ligaments, I’ll go in for a MRI, but not for a while.  My knee is still pretty swollen, although the soreness and tightness goes down like the mercury every day.  Until then, I’ll be wearing a knee brace (a hand-me-down from my brother, James – thanks man!) and keeping to what has become my ‘normal’ routine since my bike crash: ibuprofen, ice, and elevating my knee whenever possible.  Thankfully, I’ve been able to swim a few times a week, and last Saturday I did yard work.  Self-propelled mowers are a wonderful invention.  :)  Also, I’m grateful for health care, doctors who are willing to take their time with me, and a very patient wife.

UPDATE: My x-rays came back negative.  Nothing seems to be broken!  The next step is to keep taking care of my knee and allowing time for the swelling to go down.  I’ll have a follow-up appointment with my doctor in 3-4 weeks, and we’ll go from there.

On a somewhat related note, a movie will be shown this Saturday evening at 7pm to benefit the Colorado Mesa University cycling team.  The movie is called Right to Play, and you can watch a trailer for it below:


From the press release from CMU:

Right to Play is a documentary directed by Frank Marshall for ESPN Films. It aired on ESPN 30 for 30. It is the story of Norwegian speed-skating gold medalist Johann Olav Koss, who founded the non-profit organization, Right to Play, which brings sports to children in third-world and war-torn countries.
As we partner with ministries like InterVarsity on campus, it’s important for our church to be a supportive presence at events like the cycling movie.  Students will know they’re loved and cared for, and you can support the national champion CMU cycling team as you enjoy a great film.
Hope to see you there.  And thanks for continuing to pray for me as I recover.
Solo Dei gloria,
Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment