Friday, August 23, 2013

Mission to Families

When I first got my car, it came with a free 1-year subscription to satellite radio.  This just happened to be the same summer that I was driving across the country from my home in Houston to a new chapter in life in Gig Harbor, WA.  All throughout my drive, I was thrilled to have satellite radio in my car because I could listen to any game, any time, for any team.

Somewhere on the drive, I caught a broadcast from the Los Angeles Dodgers' home announcer: the legendary Vin Scully.  If you've never listened to him call a ballgame, it's a tremendous experience.  Scully doesn't just call the game and give you the plays; he tells the story of each player, the managers, the strategies, and everything else on the field without for a moment becoming dull.  He knows how to do this so well because he's been calling Dodgers games for 65 years, and he just announced that he'll be back for a 66th year.  I'd go so far as to say that listening to Vin Scully call a game is better than watching it on TV, and only second to seeing it in-person.

Vin Scully is a masterful storyteller.  Ministry to children and students (and their families) is all about telling God's story in faithful, innovative ways.  Our children's ministry tells kids over and over again: God keeps His promises.  Our students are learning to tell the story of their lives with Jesus as the hero.  We do this through a variety of ministries, events, small groups, and mission opportunities.

This Sunday at 4pm, Brad, Janet, and their teams will host a fall kick-off here at FPC.  We'll have desserts and games, as well as the opportunity to learn more about the upcoming year and our ministry to students, kids, and families.  You won't want to miss it!

See you Sunday,

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment