Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Uganda Team Update

Hi everyone,

It's another beautiful evening in Jinja, Uganda. It's been busy. We spent the day at Amani Baby Cottage. Karen Jensen and I spent most of the morning clearing out two over grown garden areas to prepare for the planting of tomatoes, onions and cabbage. It's went well but we had to continually fight off the chickens who wanted the seeds as fast as we tried to get them in the ground. Although challenging, we did get the garden planted. 

After a lunch of boiled potatoes, rice, minched meat (similar to hamburger) and greens prepared by Mama Cook, we all spent time with the babies. I'm not sure I mentioned there are 63 babies at the cottage ranging in age from 0 - 4, so there are lots of little ones to hold. I held, played and fed Noah. I wasn't sure of his exact age but I know he was round 6 months old

Tha cottage is working on volunteer quarters upstairs from the main living facility for the children. We're hoping to help work on this  because they're in need of housing for the young ladies that come to Amani to donate time. I say this because most of the help that comes to Africa are young women who specifically want to work with the children. A young man did show up today about 5 days before his team to help with construction. Although I don't consider myself a carpenter, I can clean and paint  There's myself, David Jensen and Tom Hansen and the rest of the team are women so the three of us are hoping for some more manual labor.

We had dinner in Jinja which turned out to be a near three hour experience. I was the last to receive my meal which, as I said, was about three hours later. Oh well. We're told Jinja time is an entirely different way of time keeping. I did get to eat on the run. 

Tomorrow we're back to Amani for another work day. 

It's a little humid but otherwise beautiful weather. It's very tropical and our fruit each morning is fresh bananas and pineapple which is great. 

I hope all is well in Grand Junction and thanks again for your prayers. I'll look forward to sharing the next day's events. 

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment